Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
On The Cusp Of Summer

While in Williamsburg my mom asked me to post another round of pics of my yard so she could see how things are progressing.  Mostly everything is looking bigger and a bit more wild.  My secret is Miracle Gro indoor fertilizer spikes for all my containers.  I have no idea why they are listed as indoor use when they work perfectly well outside in containers as well.  I put in one for each plant in a pot sticking it right down into the root ball.  I have to replace them about ever 4-6 weeks.

This is probably my favorite area of the garden.  I really love the intense colors.  The chaste tree will get moved this fall as it is going to outgrow this space quickly.  I'll fill in with more South Seas  daylilies behind the catmint.  I think this spot looks pretty good considering all these plants are only on their 1st or 2nd year in the ground.  


South Seas daylilies with the chaste tree beginning to bloom behind. 


Apricot Sprite Agastache and Lavender


The veggie beds are growing like crazy.  My tomato placement this year was poorly thought out. They have grown into an 8 plant jungle which will make harvesting the fruit much more difficult. There are two Earth Boxes behind the beds with 2 tomato plants each in them and then four more in the bed in the back left.  I've already gotten a couple Black Cherry tomatoes this year and they, along with Paul Robesons are hands down the best tomatoes that have ever passed my lips - and I've grown and eaten a large assortment of varieties!  

The corn is doing well despite the bunny visiting and having his breakfast, lunch and dinner in our garden.  Gabriel actually asked me last night after I read a Beatrix Potter story for him if I was going to put the rabbit visiting our garden into a pie.  I just may if he keeps on pigging out over here!  

We've got four cucumber plants and will never be able to eat all the cucumbers being produced on those vines.  We've got several varieties of peppers, kentucky blue wonder beans, parsley and a couple varieties of basil busily growing here as well.  


These japanese beetles are disgusting.  I am really posting so people can feel sorry for my roses.  


Front view of the house, per my mom's request. 


I have actually had three cars who were driving by my house stop and roll down their window to tell me how much they love these window boxes and ask me where I got them and how I knew what to plant in them.  I had one person ask me if I worked for Merrifield Garden Center, which is funny since I think I single-handedly support their store with my constant purchases!   I wish I made some money from this addiction of mine instead of it eating away at the old budget. 


What is more fun than a sweet dress up princess with a paci in her mouth?  She loves to come out with me and "help" me as I weed and water every day.  


 

0 comments:





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow