Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
I May Die

I (Jess) usually post about gardening as it is my favorite way to spend my time.  My mom (Lissie) posts about a variety of things and my sister (Rach) almost always posts about cooking, as she is very good at it and likes it.  I hate cooking and doing pretty much anything other than reading, gardening and taking care of my kids.  That includes cleaning my house and cooking, unfortunately.  I do them because I love my family and know that God expects me to put forth some semblance of sacrificial effort (cooking IS a sacrifice for me, if you didn't already know) but deep down I'm lazy and would prefer to do nothing but read and putter around in the garden. 

This is not a gardening post.

This is a post about the fact that I've gained 10 lbs. since November (cue sobbing) since I've weaned little G and I'm not pregnant again (thus, no extra caloric intake needed) and I've got to do something to stem the tide.  I was always on the low end of my recommended weight and having just had a physical in which my doctor was astounded that I was irate and upset at my weight gain I have decided that I AM at a healthy weight, but geeze - it isn't a weight I've ever seen before (when not pregnant and nursing)  so I am more than a little annoyed.  I apparently am not planning on eating less (or I would have done it already) so the only option is to move... more.  I've not been much in the way of moving... more... since I stopped running cross country in high school.  That was a long time ago.  Gulp, maybe even pushing 15 years... a long time ago.

So.

I needed to make a change.  I bought the fancy gym package with childcare included and didn't end up going very often.  This has mystified my husband and he is able to go as often as he pleases when he is in town and not traveling for work.  He, and other fathers I know, seem to have this unique ability to just announce where they are planning to go and then leave.  The mom (especially if she is a stay at home mom) always has to figure out childcare and pre-arrange and manage her schedule according to her children's schedule.  But I digress.  Packing up three kids, driving 15 minutes to the gym, getting them into the childcare and settled and then off to workout... well I am tired before I even manage to get my butt going on the CrossRamp.  Not to mention that we use a local college facility which seems to be largely populated by the athletic student body of the university.  Not that I am feeling lacking or old, or anything like that when I show up in my loose tee shirt and New Balance sneakers.  Ahem. 

Anyway.

I found Turbo Fire, a work out at home via DVD system produced by Chalene Johnson (perhaps the perkiest and in shape blonde woman you could ever dream up - she is practically a video game alt she is so larger than life.)  I watched the clips online, tracked down as many review and personal bios online as I could find and then took the plunge.

Turbo Fire arrived.

It is surprisingly fun for something that makes me feel like I am going to die.   I have never worked so hard or sweated so much in my entire life.  I assume this is good as I would like to have hamstrings and abs that are visible to the naked eye without any sort of straining.  I am not sure I care to lose weight at this point.  I have almost come to term with those 10 lbs. and almost feel like a healthy BMI of 21 is better than a scrawny 18/19 with ribs showing in my chest and hip bones jutting out.  I think what has been the most aggravating thing for me about this is that I actually feel like I have to THINK about not gaining weight when I never have before.

I am 33 years old and will turn 34 in July.  This is the time to care about my heart, my cholesterol, my bone density, my blood pressure and my blood sugar.  I need to care about how I feel, how healthy I am and what is at stake long term, not just how I look (though I have to admit I certainly care about how I look - much to my dismay) and Turbo Fire is kicking my ass and making me work and helping me keep all those things in check.


When Chalene Johnson is telling me in a perky, upbeat voice at minute 35 into a hard workout that I am not tired, let me tell you that I am shouting back at the TV that *F U* YES - I am tired.  But I keep going because it is fun and I love it.  It is totally worth the $200 bucks that I spent.  I have never awakened in the morning looking forward to working out until NOW.



 

2 comments:

Rach said...

Oh god. now I'm going to have to get this. I may hate you.

Jess said...

If you decide to get it, I'll send you the link to order through my friend. She gets some kind of credit as she's a Beachbody Coach. I've been drinking Shakeology every day too, not my fav, BUT it is better to drink that than not eat or eat something crappy. Avoid Greenberry if you decide to give that a try. Chocolate is pretty good mixed with coconut milk and a banana.





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow