Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Mistake!

What's gardening without mistakes?  I make them all the time and usually learn from them.  Most are genuine mistakes as I am a trial and error gardener who has no formal horticulture or landscaping training and I seem to learn the best by having something go awry.  Years ago when Bob and I bought our first house I made the mistake of letting some mint spill out from a pot and it rooted itself in no time in the garden bed.  It took so much work to get rid of that mint and I pulled it and pulled it out and still found runners here and there right up until we moved.  It was the plant I could not eradicate.

I promised myself I would never plant something that invasive ever again outside of a container and if I did put it in a container I would make sure it wasn't in a spot that would allow it to escape into the beds.   Well, last fall I decided that I loved my neighbor's pink evening primrose so much that I would go ahead and plant it *in my front beds* and just stay on top of it and not let it get away from me.  Yeah right.  Within the six months it wintered over the root systems went crazy and I began finding it popping up everywhere, yards and yards away of where it was originally planted.  So this was a very stupid mistake because I knew better and went ahead and did it anyway.

I've pulled and hacked and pulled some more and yet I am still finding it everywhere.  Lesson learned again.  Do not plant something that is an invasive spreader unless you are seriously committed to it and have no plans to grow anything else in the area that will need to compete.  As for me I'll continue to pull out runners as they pop up - probably until we move from this house.


-Jess 

 

0 comments:





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow