Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Lemon & Blueberry Ice Cream

Rachael and I arrived back in Blacksburg after a week on the road. Her kids are troupers, but we all are a bit road weary. Before we left, we promised Dottie that she could see baby Ellie and sweet little Lily upon our return, so I figured that inviting her to dinner would be a good idea. Rachael tackled the Tikka Masala, while I made a large green salad. We planned to serve the Tikka Masala over rice, and all we needed to round out the meal was a refreshing dessert. Mind you, we arrived at my house at 3:00 and dinner was to be at 6:00, so it had to be something simple and quick. I rooted around the fridge to see what was there and still in usable condition after a week's neglect. I found two large lemons, and I had just purchased a couple of pints of blueberries for breakfast. From past experience I knew that lemons and blueberries are a good combination so I decided to make lemon-blueberry ice cream. I hunted high and low for a good recipe, but found none, so I made up my own. It turned out so well, I decided to post my simple solution here:

½ cup fresh lemon juice

Grated zest from one large lemon

1 cup whole milk

1.5 cups sugar

3 cups heavy cream

1 pint blueberries


1. Put sugar and milk in mixer bowl and mix on low speed until sugar is dissolved.

2. Add other ingredients and stir.

3. Pour into ice cream freezer.

4. Process for 20 minutes.

5. Put into freezer-safe bowl. Cover with foil and freeze for 1-2 hours prior to eating.


Dottie said it was her favorite dessert I've ever served her. That is saying a lot!


Lissie


 

2 comments:

Jess said...

We're making this tomorrow. Can't wait!

Rach said...

OMG, this is SOOOO good! You are going to LOVE it, Jessie! :o)





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow