Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Detox


Do you ever eat really poorly when you travel? I do. I eat at fast food restaurants and eat junk food that can be bought at convenience stores and gas stations. It is almost part of the travel ritual, I buy and eat foods and let my kids eat foods that we usually wouldn't eat. Sometimes a McDonald's french fry and a real Coke really hit the spot. My grandmother always packed a cooler full of nutritious and cost-conscious foods for traveling. I should be more organized and do the same but to be honest, it is hard enough just getting myself and the kids packed up and loaded up and to our destination without losing my sanity.

Last week I was away from home. I helped my aunt prepare healthy meals but I snuck quite a few real Cokes in, ate cookies and fast food and all sorts of bad things while on the road. And when I got home I just really felt blah. I do think days of eating crap affect your mood and your energy levels. So now I am trying to even back out again and get myself on track.

Our menu has included most fresh, raw fruits and veggies, big salads and some light grilled chicken, turkey burgers and simple green smoothies. I'm hoping that it only takes a week to get rid of the lingering headache and the two pounds I gained while gone. I'm happy to be back into my regular eating routine but, boy...

That real Coke sure tasted delicious!

-Jess

 

3 comments:

Rach said...

My body is still trying to detox. UGH!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Even Cracker Barrel isn't the best choice, but the food sure is tasty. :-)

Lissie

Amy J said...

I am not a Coke girl, but sometimes I just have to have a real fountain Pepsi. (Of course I am then up all night as I hardly ever have caffeine)





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow