Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Gardening

Bob finished building our new raised beds today. Because we decided to try Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening we built four 4x4 beds per his recommendations. Bob used cedar and the process was a lot more involved than I had realized it would be. The boards all had to be cut to fit together nicely like a jigsaw puzzle so they would be sturdier. He had to level the ground and put some sort of ground cloth in the boxes to discourage weeds and critters.

The last photo is a shot of a few of the seedlings we've started. We have 14 tomato plants and I'm betting a couple don't survive transplanting but even if that happens we will have more than we can possibly eat! I plan on canning and making sauce out of a couple of the varieties. We also have pepper plants and several herbs started. The rest of the seeds will be direct sown in a couple weeks in the garden beds.




 

5 comments:

Rach said...

Woo Hoo!! Go Bob!! The beds look fabulous, Jessie. He did a great job. :o)

Cat said...

My first husband and I did that with our first yard it was great, I can't remember now haw many different types of peppers we had, it was a bunch of fun though.

Annie said...

Hi Jess! It's good to be back blogging! Enjoy your new garden! I can't wait to have a yard so I can have a vegetable garden! :)

Sandy said...

Wow..those beds are going to be great. We have a neighbor who has six of these beds that they plant each year. They really love it!
Can't wait to see pics as you get them planted and as they grow!

Kristi Ann said...

Go Bob!!

Don't you just LOVE a handy man???

:):)

They look GREAT!





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow