Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Another Delicious Recipe

We tried a new recipe last night and it was excellent and very quick. Even better it is inexpensive and hearty. This is a Martha Stewart recipe from her Everyday Food Magazine, Issue 50.

*I buy frozen shrimp in the bags when they are on sale. If you watch your sale ads you can usually find a pound for $4-6.

Asian Shrimp Stew with Steamed Rice

-1 C. long-grain rice
-2 Tbs. cornstarch
-1/2 C. coconut milk
-1 Tbs. sugar
-1 Tbs. vegetable oil
-2 Yellow peppers cut into one inch pieces (I used green, they were cheaper)
-1 onion cut into one inch pieces
-4 garlic cloves, sliced
-2 Tbs. minced, peeled fresh ginger (I used the Pampered Chef chopper press and it worked great)
-1/4 tsp. red-pepper flakes (I omitted this since Ella and I were eating it)
-4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
-1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (thaw if frozen)
-1-2 Tbs. rice vinegar

1. Cook rice according to pkg. instructions. Place cornstarch in a bowl and gradually whisk in coconut milk, sugar and 1 cup of water.

2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add peppers, onion, garlic, ginger, red-pepper flakes and scallion whites; season with salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until veggies are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes.

3. Add coconut-milk mixture to skillet; raise heat to medium-high. Boil stirring until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook until opaque, 3-4 minutes. If necessary adjust consistency with water, season with vinegar and salt to taste.

4. Serve shrimp stew over the rice. Add the green scallions to the top for a garnish.

Total time: 30 minutes

(Sorry no photo, I had two fussy children and no patience when I made this and completely forgot to snap a pic!)

 

0 comments:





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow