Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Fire



It's been cool in the evening the last few weekends so we've put the kids to bed and built a little fire in our fire bowl.  No marshmallows or hot dogs or anything of that nature to be seen, just a fire and chairs and some wine or beer to take the edge of the cool night.  

I've found it remarkable that we've had friends and neighbors stop over to sit awhile, to talk and drink and laugh.  This is so much better than plopping in front of the computer or TV to waste the evening hours.  Company with talk of politics, kids, sports, and other various odds and ends to fill our evenings with instead of thoughtless activities that are entertaining but shallow. 

I like this fire bowl.  My husband and I sit outside and talk.  We talk all the time when we are together but it is usually about the children, or what I am doing with Ella in our homeschool, or about his job or bills, or something else not related to us.   This little fire feels primal and participatory in a way that sitting on the couch inside does not facilitate.  We talk, we laugh, we share.  These are all so important and get left behind in the busyness of life. 

I have to smile at how the guys who sit around the fire like to poke and prod it, "build" it up to make more heat.  I don't know - maybe they are actually doing something productive.  What makes me laugh is that I, and none of the other women, seem to feel the same need to attack the fire every five minutes.  But the process of building and keeping the fire warm seems to be a bonding experience of sorts, which I can appreciate.  Women talk and men poke at the fire with iron prongs.  This is good. 

We've priced out some small square pavers to make an official spot in our yard for this little fire pit.  I'm sure the grass will be glad to finally be dug out instead of succumbing to the heat and torture every weekend.  Bob should finish the project tomorrow. 

The men talk of cold winter nights under the stars outside with this fire and a beer.  The women smile and think they are crazy.  We'll see what happens! 
-Jess

 

0 comments:





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow