Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Papa's Potato Salad

Jerry Noonkester made the best potato salad on the planet. It was wonderful to eat while still warm, and still wonderful to eat while cold. For years I tried to make potato salad like he did, but never quite got it right. Lately, however, I seem to have done a better job of recreating his masterpiece. (Sadly, Jerry is no longer with us, so I can't ask for his help.) Here's my version:

Ingredients:
Quantities vary depending on how much you want to make.

  • Boiled Potatoes
  • Chopped Onion
  • Chopped Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Chopped Bread & Butter Pickles
  • Mustard (Raye’s Sweet & Spicy works best. You can order it from the factory in Eastport, Maine or buy it at Harris Teeter or Fresh Market. I'm not sure if Trader Joe's sells it.)
  • Hellman’s Mayonaise
  • Salt
  • Pepper
My process is simple. I boil whole red potatoes, drain them, and when somewhat cool, peel off the skins. (They slip right off.) Next, I cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and dump them in a bowl. I chop eggs next and add them to the potatoes. [Note: For three pounds of potatoes, I use four to six eggs.) Then I add a chopped onion and chopped bread & butter pickles. (I like my own pickles best, but ones from the store will work in a pinch.) I mix all of this together and add enough mayonnaise to coat things well. Then I put in a tablespoon or two of Raye's Sweet & Spicy mustard. I've tried other mustards, but this one works best. Avoid spicy brown mustard or Dijon. Salt and pepper to taste and mix well.

Lissie


 

6 comments:

Rach said...

I remember Papa would come to pick us up on Saturdays and would bring you a tub of warm potato salad. The funny thing is, I have *never* like potato salad, yet everyone always *raved* about his. Hee.

The Busy Blaine's said...

Just the way my mom makes it!! No matter what I do I can not get it to taste right!!

Jess said...

He actually used sweet pickles, not bread and butter!

The potato salad you made for Grace's baptism luncheon was delicious, loved it!

Robin Nabbe Taylor said...

If I ever decide to cook again...I'll come back to your blog and copy the recipe. Your Aunt Susan makes a wonderful potato salad too.

Auntie R.

Lee said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made it tonight with some potatoes from the farmer's market.

Olivia Palermo Becomes the Demurest Party Queen with Chanel Quilted Clutch said...

Paris Hilton Have Fun with Louis Vuitton Mahina Tote

cheap handbags: cheap handbags louis vuitton

Gucci Sunset Tote, Timeless Guccissima

Gucci Sunset Saddle Tote I Hesitate to Get

Olivia Palermo Becomes the Demurest Party Queen with Chanel Quilted Clutch

Rachel Bilson Looks Good with Everything Chanel, Chanel Clutch Included





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow