Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Country Pound Cake

This recipe was given to me by an old country woman sometime around 1980. Her one caution was, "Now, honey, don't you be tempted to put no baking powder in this cake 'cause it will ruin it." The cake is simple to make but the baking time is iffy. Over the years I've used various Bundt pans, and I've had good luck with all of them, so I don't think the type of Bundt pan you use is that important.

1. Cream together 3 sticks of unsalted butter with 3 cups of white sugar. Do not use margarine or any type of butter substitute. Beat in five eggs, one at a time.

2. Add 1 tsp. of pure lemon extract and 1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract. Do not use imitation flavorings.

3. Sift in a separate bowl 3 cups of plain white flour or plain unbleached four. Do not use self-rising flour.

4. Measure one cup of milk. I've used both whole and 2% with success.

5. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix well followed by 1/3 cup of milk, again mixing well. Repeat until all of the flour and the milk have been added.

6. This next part seems a bit odd, but I've always done it. Beat the batter for 15 minutes. I guess I'm too superstitious to skip this step.

7. Pour into a greased and floured Bundt pan.

8. This is a big heavy cake so it will take a long time to cook.
Cook at 350 for an hour. Check to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick or thin knife blade into the thickest part of the cake. It is likely you will need to cook it longer. I cook for an addition fifteen minutes and then check again. If the cake still is not cooked, I keep checking after every five additional minutes.

9. When the cake is done, turn it out onto a rack to cool.

Alternate Step 1:

I grew up in Florida and ate citrus fruit almost every day. To this date, lemons and limes are my favorite flavors. You can't make anything too lemony for me. If you are as fond of lemon as I am, you might want to try this additional step.

In a bowl use a whisk mix 1 cup of confectioner's sugar with 1/2 cup of lemon juice.

When the cake is finished cooking, do not take it out of the pan. Instead carefully pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake. I use a knife to pull the cake away from the pan a bit and drizzle the mixture down the side, repeating until the entire bowl of mixture is used. Let the cake sit until cool, allowing the lemon-sugar mixture to soak in.

Carefully turn the cake onto a large plate.

Alternate Step 2:

Before putting the batter into the cake pan, add 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen. Mix well, but not too vigorously; you don't want to break up the berries.

Posted by Lissie

 

2 comments:

Jess said...

Seeing the recipe here, I'm tempted to try it again. We all know what a FAIL this recipe is for me (and anyone who tries to make it for me!).

Rach said...

Yes, I seem to recall ruining it for your birthday--last year?--even though I hadn't had any trouble in this oven ever before.





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow