Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
The Most Comfortable Chair in the World


This is a Leopold's chair. To say it is comfortable is an understatement. Think of a baseball nestled into the well worn pocket of a glove. That's about how it feels to sit in this chair, which was designed by Leopold Stickley around 1930. His goal was to create for himself the most comfortable chair imaginable. Now, more than 80 years later, his chair is still popular. I found mine by accident. A couple of years ago I was in a furniture store on December 28th. I was in the market for two upholstered chairs for my living room. The kind woman who was helping me suggested that I sit in various floor models until I found a chair that sat well. From there I could pick chairs that were visually pleasing and would work in my living room. Then, I could select fabric. Well. I wandered around trying out various chairs. I saw the Leopold's chair and wasn't too struck by how it looked. Frankly, it seemed a little lopsided because the back is at an odd angle. Then, I sat in it. Mama mia! I knew then that the chair was for me. Never, ever in my long life had I sat in a chair that enveloped me in so much comfort. Knowing that Stickley furniture can be pricey, I inquired about the cost. The owner of the store came over and said, "This is a floor model. If I still have it in the shop on January 1, I'll have to pay taxes on the inventory. If you buy it today, I can give it to you at a great price, less than half the retail cost." I sat down in the chair again and put my feet up on the ottoman. And I did not want to get back up. The chair was truly that wonderful. Even the color of the fabric was a good match for my needs. Needless to say, the chair and ottoman came home with me. Every single day I sit in my Leopold's chair to read, look out the window, surf the web, or talk to visitors. But my secret has gotten out, so now I offer the chair to my friends when they stop by, and I sit in my other chair. It, too, is comfortable, but nothing like my Leopold's chair. My daughters both love the chair. In fact, I haven't met anyone who doesn't.


-Lissie

 

1 comments:

Rach said...

You failed to mention how much Brien and Paul love it as well. What a chair. :sigh: :o)





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow