Contributors

Rach

I'm daughter to Lissie, sister to Jess, wife to Brien, mom to Hannah, Lily and Eleanor. I am a stay at home mom to my girls, and my free time is dedicated to gardening (I confess I'm still a novice and look to Lissie and Jess for advice), baking and cooking, and card making. I'm doing my part to make the earth a bit greener, trying hard to avoid processed foods and HFCS, and find the "slow food" movement intriguing and inspiring. I love visits to my local farmers' market, fresh produce, reading, getting out in nature, and spending time with my family.

Jess

Catholic, homeschooler, lover of books and great wine and an amateur gardening addict.

Lissie

I'm Melissa aka "Lissie", mother of Rachael and Jessica, and grandmother to a passel of the sweetest children on the planet. I'm a semi-retired public educator and professor who works from home for a small publisher. I am a lover of all things beautiful ... flowers, the mountains, nature scenes, the innocent faces of children, and my rock and fossil collection, to name a few. I enjoy shopping at the farmers' market for fresh foods and then experimenting with new recipes. Good food and good wine delight me. I love to travel so my suitcase is always packed. Like my daughters, I take pleasure in simple things ... clothes drying on the line, tomatoes so fresh they are still hot from the sun, good books, and interesting movies. I'd like to know everything before I die.
Steak Teriyaki

I've never been a fan of teriyaki ... until I tried this recipe. Not only is it one of the tastiest meals I've eaten lately, it is beautiful to look at. Best of all it is easy to make! It takes thirty minutes or less and doesn't have an overwhelming number of ingredients:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 strip steaks (8-10 oz each), about 1" thick [Note: I recommend Laura's Beef or other beef raised without steroids, etc.]
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 scallions, sliced thin

1. Whisk soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, vinegar and cornstarch in bowl.

2. Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add steaks and cook until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.

3. Wipe out skillet and add soy sauce mixture. Simmer over medium heat until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Slice steak thinly against the grain and transfer to platter. Pour sauce over steak and sprinkle with scallions. Serve.

4. Lick your lips!

 

5 comments:

S said...

mmmmmmmmmmm that sounds so good! It's 11pm here I wonder what the neighbors would think if I started up the grill?!

Stephanie said...

OH MY goodness, I have to tell you, I tried this last night and it was divine! My husband was in love. The only mistake I made was serving it with fresh corn on the cob instead of sticky rice, which would have enabled us to devour every last drop of that sticky sweet sauce. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Michelle said...

That sounds delious! I hope to try it soon! We just moved into a new house (long story) and there is a locally grown, organic meat market within WALKING distance from our new house (I walked THREE PLACES yesterday, thought of you, I feel so Green, lol) anyway, the prices are GREAT and they even give a discount to law enforcement, I can't wait to try them, and this sounds like a great recipe to do it with.

Thanks for sharing!

Nikki said...

About Laura's Lean Beef... Check out this article: http://www.cspinet.org/new/200306021.html
It's not what it seems. Please look into Organic Prairie Meats.

Stephanie said...

So, I know this recipe has been here for a long time but I thought you'd get a kick out of the fact that I love it and have printed it every single time I've made it. For some reason I cannot ever find the printout, so every time I have to go back and find it... you'd think I'd bookmark it! This recipe, with sticky white rice and stir-fried baby bok choy with ginger and garlic... simply YUM. Love it. No bottled teriyaki sauce can possibly compare.





(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow